Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Sneaky Chef

So yesterday I went to the bookstore in search of a new cookbook. Melissa has been raving about her book Deceptively Delicious. Well, the bookstore I was at did not have that one, so I got The Sneaky Chef instead. In these books, the authors make normal foods but disguise veggies inside of them. I tried one recipe so far--onion rings. It took forever because I had to steam the veggies and put them in the food processor. We don't have a food processor, so I had to do it in the blender. It seemed kinda hard and I'm sure it would be easier in a food processor. Anyways, the onion rings called for cauliflower and zuchini. So once I made my little mixture, I set up 3 bowls. One with whole wheat flour, the next with my veggies, and the last with the crunchy mixture. This had chopped up almonds, corn meal, and some paprika, salt and pepper. So you take your onion ring and dip it in each. Then the recipe said to bake them at 425 for 20 minutes, then flip them, then bake them for 15 minutes. Well, after 20 minutes when I came to flip them, they were burnt to a crisp! Haha. So I baked another batch and got them out before the 20 minutes was over. So overall they weren't bad. You really couldn't taste the veggies in there. The only thing I had a problem with was the cornmeal. I did not like the cornmeal at all. And since the cornmeal played such a big role in the onion rings, overall I did not like them very much. But I can't wait to try another recipe. It is like a chocolate molten cake. I love those! But this one happens to have blueberries and spinach and wheat germ in it. It sounds like a bad combination but I'm sure it will be good. I'll keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Please keep me posted. I checked out the Sneaky Chef, but I haven't had a chance to try it! I also checked out deceptively delicous, but I only copied some recipes and took it back - still haven't tried any of them. One of these days...