Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blueberries

A few weeks ago, I was able to go pick blueberries. Troy, Jen and I drove out to Thomson to a blueberry farm. Once we got there, a sign was posted that said "closed due to heat index". I was pretty upset because I had called the lady earlier in the day to ask if I needed to make an appointment. She said I didn't need to and could just show up. Well, as we were leaving the farm, we saw a van pull up on the other side of the blueberry farm. We drove over and found out it was the lady's friend who comes and picks blueberries a lot. She offered to let up pick the blueberries and should would give the lady the money the next day at church. We ended up with at least 10 lbs or so. We had a lot! They were beautiful! So that night we made blueberry jam. It is so delicious! I ate some of them fresh, and froze the rest of them. I have a lot of ideas of things I want to use them for. I am going to make blueberry syrup, pancakes, muffins, smoothies, and whatever else I can think of. Maybe even blueberry ice cream. We'll see. In the next few weeks I am planning on going to pick peaches and canning/freezing those. I am excited about that and will let you know how it goes.

No comments: