Monday, September 15, 2008

Food Storage

So on the first weekend of September, Troy and I went up to Columbia with the Lerchs to get food storage. I have never been to the cannery before but I had a lot of fun. We were able to can wheat, rice, beans, oats, and sugar. They also let us take a peek into the Bishop's storehouse and talked to us about the church welfare program. It is amazing! I think the guy even said the church has the biggest cattle ranch in the U.S. Has anyone else heard this? Afterwards we went out to eat at Chili's and did a little shopping. I am trying to get a 1-year food supply a little at a time. So far I have met the basic requirement for salt, sugar, wheat, oats, and rice. I am also working on adding extra things as they come on sale. For example, Publix always has buy 1 get 1 free's, so I have added some salsa, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, and honey. I also canned some blueberry jam. I meant to get peaches and can those this summer, but I never had time to do that. Hopefully I can do it next summer. Also soon I want to start working on emergency supplies, such as flashlights, batteries, etc. I had posted a link to a blog that is all about food storage, and they have tips on everything!

1 comment:

Mike and Wendy said...

Sounds like you have Sister Lerchitis! Glad you're both working on this.
We're more than happy for you to view our blog. Sorry we left you out. I beg for Troy's forgiveness. I may have to make him some no-bakes when I'm there at Thanksgiving!